Monday, April 14, 2008

Liar of the Lost Ark

Did anyone watch tonight's Channel Four documentary about the Ark of the Covenant?

I did, and strangely found it very interesting. The man (can't remember his name) did provide some very good clues as to where the Ark was and he seemed to stick pretty closely to the Bible text. What he said about the distant Israelite tribe in South Africa also ties in well with the Diaspora (scattered Jews) talked about in Acts. However he unfortunately lost the plot in what he said of the Ark being misconceived as golden and ornate. Not only did I disagree with his thinking because it was in direct conflict with what the Bible teaches, but his main argument for this was fundamentally flawed even by his own loose translation. He said that the Israelites wouldn't have had that much gold out in the desert ... however ... did he forget in his journey through Exodus to read Exodus 12:33-36 where it is written that the Israelites asked the Egyptians for gold objects which they gave freely! The idea that some african drum is the lost Ark of the Covenant is preposterous. However I did enjoy watching the programme even just from a purely intellectual point of view and it gave me a chance to research that section of the Bible again when I was testing his theories against the truth!

No comments: